Gold Medalist, Paralympic Athlete and Cancer Survivor
Peak performance expert Andrew Haley has had his share of ups and downs. As a child Andrew had cancer twice and each time was given a 35% chance to survive. Even though he lost part of his right leg, Andrew never let it dictate his life. He is a living reminder that no matter what negative things may happen in your life, you can always try and turn it into something positive. Take control of your life and always try to learn and be better next time. We each have the power to be AMAZING. The only question is, are you ready to take it to the next level? Every audience can expect a powerful experience based on Andrew’s life and experiences. A talk that is tailored to each and every client.
Andrew’s real and inspiring views cover three decades of real-life in-the-trenches sport and personal experience. Andrew Haley appreciates and shares with his audience that being a champion and turning pressure into performance is a moment-to-moment choice and is able to relate and inspire each listener that success is more than title, tenure or position. Excellence is for everyone, everyday. It’s how we should live our life.
In his presentations, Hayley’s fusion of real-life stories and his conversational techniques connect with his audience at an intimate, intense and individual level. Andrew is a former world class World Record setting Paralympic swimmer having won, among other competitions, gold medals at the 1998 World Championships and the 2000 Paralympic games. Andrew Haley has served as his swim team’s captain and is a recognized leader in Paralympic sport. He continues to work with the best and brightest in the performance excellence field. In 2015, Andrew Haley was inducted into Swimming Canada’s Circle of Excellence and the Nova Scotia Sport Hall of Fame. He is also a successful businessman who works for the Toronto Blue Jays. He continues to work with the best and brightest in the performance excellence field.
Andrew Haley also finds time to give back to his community. He is involved with the charity RIGHT TO PLAY and also visits schools in Ontario and his native Nova Scotia. In addition, he volunteers his time working with AthletesCAN, a national group that supports athletes. He looks forward to partnering with you in the future. Some companies that have partnered with Andrew include: HSBC, Re/Max, Manulife, Teva Pharmaceuticals, National Bank, Sun Life,
Ontario Ministry of Energy, Childhood Cancer Society, Xerox Canada, Four Seasons Hotel, and various conference to name a few.
Top performers have learned to adapt their mindsets to prepare and execute on all levels and especially in high pressure situations. There is an extra level of dedication and commitment to qualify for the Olympics and beat out the nation’s top athletes. There is an even higher level required to make it to the podium.
Preparation, taking constructive criticism, accountability, determination, dedication, process management and strategic goal setting all played a key role in Andrew Haley’s success. Andrew’s high performance mindset was constantly evolving so he could commit to days and nights in and out of the pool. Over time, his elite mindset became a natural process of his everyday work. Repetition and focus enabled him to master himself and his craft which led to his Hall of Fame swimming career and multiple Gold Medals and World Records.
Our minds are the key to unlocking our abilities and unleashing us to our full potential. The road to Gold is not for everyone and is not an easy feat, however we can all learn from the mental state of mind an athlete curates and maintains to bring them to each step on a path to reach the top.
This talk shows your team that no matter the circumstances we can be prepared and ready for action. You will learn to banish self-doubt and fear and tap into that extra level needed at work or at home. You will learn to create a mindset that can take you to new heights, set realistic and achievable goals to achieve dreams, meet expectations and realize there are no limits to your capabilities.
In this tailored presentation, we will explore:
- Positivity is always a choice
- We are always better as part of a T.E.A.M. with support
- Leading oneself to understand your “why” to find your purpose in everything you do
- Prevent burnout through managing your time, healthy living, and relationships effectively.
- Trust the process and remain confident in the systems
- Manage change and make small tweaks when required on the fly
- Set realistic short-term goals that paint the larger picture for dreams and success
- Be accountable to yourself in a positive way, to align your habits, daily routine to include what it takes to get you where you need to be
- Self acknowledgement and celebration of your success while enjoying the benefits of achieving new heights
- New approaches that will set you on your own “Personal Excellence” journey
We all seem to be managing more with less these days with so much uncertainty around us. We have less time to do things and face daily challenges in our personal and work lives and that sometimes we lose focus, hope, or process in the face of adversity. One thing that all athletes, leaders, and top performers have in common is an incredible sense of self awareness that helps in controlling themselves to effectively manage setbacks. The ability to recognize challenging situations that can come up from afar, prepares these individuals to be more resilient, agile and creates a foundation to bounce back with certainty in hardships.
It has become mission critical for us to be able to lead ourselves and our peers through a compassionate lens. Through a compassionate approach, we can keep an open mind to new perspectives, new opportunities and can support each other to maintain strong relationships. We are all called upon to be leaders in one shape or form throughout our lives. We are also all forced to go through hardships in our lives while managing change and challenges that come in so many different forms.
Andrew Haley is a two-time cancer survivor that has overcome insurmountable odds to become a Hall of Fame, Paralympic Champion swimmer. Having lived through many chemotherapy treatments that didn’t react well to light, Andrew developed a framework to increase his resilience – one that got him out of the dark and to the top of the podium. He has been able to apply the same principals to not only lead teams, drive himself to new heights but to create success in the business world.
In this fully customized, highly engaging, and emotional keynote, audiences will learn:
- The Andrew Haley Story – From Cancer to the podium
- What common 4 attributes top performers share to enhance their resilience
- How team support is the biggest asset to overcome challenges and driving a resilient team for performance
- An Olympic approach to setting and conquering goals
- Reinventing ourselves when required to create a fresh path
- Come out of a crisis stronger through adapting to what we can control vs what we cannot control
- How to increase personal control and thrive when things aren’t going your way
The Olympic Games mark the pinnacle of many elite athletes' careers. But with the promise of glory comes tremendous pressure. Between keeping a positive mindset, strict safety protocols, the media and the rapid spread of Omicron, Team Canada still needs to perform at its peak on the international stage. It takes a certain person to manage themselves, support their teams and perform at their best under pressure. Many athletes will rise to the occasion and thrive while others will fall short of expectations. So, what can business leaders learn from our Olympians?
Just as a coach leads athletes to the podium, business leaders guide their teams to deliver when the stakes are high. Andrew developed a 7-step plan that helped him achieve world class results. There was a single moment where Andrew was able to tap into a new level under pressure to become a Champion. Andrew will share his experience with High Performance sport to teach how pressure can create more energy if your mindset is focused. He will teach how preparation, hard work and giving everything, you do to be the best plays a key role in creating confidence in high pressure situations with the purpose, the solutions and the outcomes in focus.
In this presentation, Andrew will teach:
- How Leaders will learn how to channel pressure to make it work for them
- Using pressure to your advantage
- Take a breath! Know when to step back, listen and analyze without action
- Mastermind with your team to audit and come up with different solutions
- Prepare, practice, test and measure
- Reflect, debrief, and be accountable to what went right and what could have gone better
- Creating next time situations through an agile mindset to predict and prevent similar situations
- Making process a natural reaction through a new mindset
- Accountability | Self Leadership
- Attitude | Change of Attitude
- Burnout and Energy
- Business Leadership
- Business Management
- Community | Community Development
- Conflict Management
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Employee Relations | Employee Solutions
- Excellence | Success
- Health and Safety
- Health and Wellness
- Healthcare | Health Care
- Human Resources | HR
- Leadership | Leadership Development
- Leadership and Change
- Overcoming Adversity | Adversity
- Performance | Productivity
- Professional Growth | Personal Growth
- Stress Management
- Teamwork | Team Building
- Work Life Balance | Wellness
- Workplace Culture
- Youth | Youth Development