Innovation and Leadership Strategist | Humour in the Workplace
Michael Kerr, CSP (Certified Speaking Professional), Canadian Speaking Hall of Fame inductee, is a very funny motivational speaker, international business speaker, workshop trainer, and the author of six books including, Inspiring Workplaces – Creating the Kind of Workplace Where Everyone Wants to Work , and, most recently, The Humor Advantage: Why Some Businesses Are Laughing All the Way to the Bank.
Michael travels the world researching, writing, and speaking about inspiring workplace cultures. He is known as one of North America’s leading speakers on workplace culture and on how businesses leverage their humor resources to deliver outrageous results -including lower absenteeism rates, lower employee turnover rates, less stress, more creativity, more effective communication, and increased sales. His hilarious, inspiring, and thought-provoking programs are often rated as having the greatest impact and relevance of any presentation at a conference, which is why Michael is listed as one of Canada’s most requested funny motivational business speakers.
Michael has delivered his captivating keynote presentations and training workshops to more than 2,000 audiences, from Iran to Texas, from Austria to Australia. His programs offer relevant, practical ideas delivered with his memorable brand of high-energy, clean humor. “Inspiring,” “hilarious,” “energizing,” “fabulous ideas,” and “incredibly relevant and timely content,” are phrases clients repeatedly use to describe the impact of his presentations.
Michael’s latest book, The Humor Advantage has been described as “the definitive book on humor in the workplace,” while his book, Inspiring Workplaces – Creating the Kind of Workplace Where Everyone Wants to Work, has been called “an inspiring blueprint for workplace success.”
Michael is a professional in every way. In fact, not only he is a Certified Speaking Professional, he was also inducted into the Canadian Speakers Association Hall of Fame in 2008. What does being a professional speaker mean? It means Michael understands the importance of asking the right questions.
He understands the importance of the basics: working with the audio-visual team, showing up early, delivering materials to meeting planners well before the deadline, adapting his presentation to tie into last minute events or timing changes, and yes, he understands the importance of finishing on time to ensure your schedule stays on track! It’s the small things and the small attention to details that makes Michael a true professional.
Here are just a few reasons to consider Michael Kerr for your next event:
- Because you don’t have to choose between great, relevant content and fun. Michael strives to deliver as much relevant content as he can, but in such a memorable and fun way that audiences remember the messages
- Michael tailors his messages, stories, and examples to whoever he is speaking to, ensuring that each presentation is as relevant as possible
- Audiences see that his depth of knowledge on workplace culture is truly astounding, and because he shares real life examples from businesses around the world, audiences see that real changes in their own workplace truly are possible
- Michael’s presentation includes over a dozen follow up e-resources, including handouts, articles, and e-books – a tremendous value-added bonus for audience members that ensures his many ideas and great messages are taken back to the workplace
- Michael practices “safe humor” – so you never have to worry if the humor will be inappropriate for any audience members
Why This Topic?
Highly successful organizations understand that humour in the workplace both refl ects a strong culture and creates a less stressful, more innovative work environment with higher levels of employee engagement, retention, and morale. As Michael will tell your audience, there is nothing trivial about this topic: humour helps people succeed at an individual, team, and organizational level. Humour is one of the most powerful stress-busters available, and it’s a resource that can boost morale, improve workplace communication, spark creative thinking, enhance customer service, and increase productivity.
Why Your Event?
Many of Michael’s clients choose this topic because its universal messages and clean humour make it a great kickoff or closing experience. And because it’s different than what many people have seen before, it’s a great way to shake things up at your meeting, energize people, and create a truly memorable event!
To deliver as much relevant, practical content and inspiring ideas as possible, but in a fun (sometimes even hilariously outrageous) way so the ideas stick! The presentation includes door prizes (usually copies of one of Michael’s books), as well as digital resources and e-books for you to use as you see fit.
Key Messages in Putting Humour to Work for Less
Stress and More Success:
- Attitude rules: The two fundamental attitude choices people
make every day at work
- Building a culture that champions the role of attitude in success
- The humour advantage: How humour can help drive individual,
team, and organizational success and why there’s nothing trivial
about humour, fun, and happiness in the workplace
- The chicken-and-egg relationship between humour and success:
How humour is both a tool FOR great success AND the product of
greater success at work
- Why honoring workplace values such as humour is the key
- What humour at work is NOT about: No, it’s not about telling
jokes, being funny, being unprofessional, or being the offi ce clown
- What humour at work IS about: Practicing safe, professional
humour that encourages people to take themselves lightly so they
can work more effectively than ever
- Flexing your funny bone: How accidental humour can boost your
- Three effective Rs of putting humour to work to manage stress,
change, and confl ict in the workplace
- Why humour can lower absenteeism rates, promote a safer
workplace, and be part of a successful workplace wellness program
- The impact of your workplace culture on employee morale,
engagement, and teamwork, and how humour can help create a
culture of recognition and celebration
- The importance of creating rituals and traditions in the workplace
to build a strong culture
- The humour advantage as a customer service tool: How humour
can help brand your business and wow your clients by helping you
stand out from the herd
- Using humour to communicate more effectively: How humour
helps build trust and relationships at work, helps your messages
stand out, and turns your meetings into events that people actually
look forward to!
- Ha + Ha = AHA! Why humour is considered one of the top
catalysts for creative thinking
Why this Topic?
Leadership guru Peter Drucker once said, “Culture eats strategy for breakfast.” And for good reason: Workplace culture drives success, and successful organizations don’t leave their culture to chance. If you want phenomenal results, it starts by being intentional about building a great workplace culture. People don’t just want to be inspired at work, they need to be inspired at work.
Why Your Event?
Inspiring Workplaces is a fun, high-energy presentation that challenges conventional thinking about the workplace and reminds people of the vital role work plays in our lives. Because the presentation takes a holistic look at the workplace, Michael touches on many different topics, which means that everyone will find something that resonates with them. And because it’s the “40,000-foot view” of the workplace, the program will tie into almost any event theme.
To deliver as much relevant, practical content and inspiring ideas on how to build a fun, positive, high-performing culture as possible, and deliver those ideas in a fun (sometimes even hilariously outrageous) way so the ideas stick! The presentation includes door prizes (usually copies of one of Michael’s books), as well as digital resources and e-books for you to use as you see fit.
Why choose between content and fun when you can have both? Inspiring Workplaces offers practical, relevant ideas geared towards creating more inspiring, innovative, fun and successful workplaces, delivered in a humorous and memorable style.
You will laugh as you learn:
- Choosing your workplace attitude before it chooses you
- Why inspiring workplaces value their values and what it means to truly honour your workplace values
- Dreaming of a better future: Why a compelling vision matters
- Why (and how) inspiring workplaces put humour to work for great success
- Creating an inspiring customer service mindset towards customer and employees
- Inspiring creativity and innovation at work to manage change and prepare for the future
- Inspiring communication in the workplace: The difference between efficient communication and truly effective communication
- Inspiring employees: the top five motivating influences in any workplace
- Thanks a lot! Creating a culture of celebrating, recognizing and rewarding
- Guiding lights for creating more inspiring workplaces
Why This Topic?
Culture drive success. When I ask inspiring leaders from around the world what’s been more important to their success – business strategy or culture, 95% say it’s their culture. But great cultures don’t happen by accident. An inspiring culture requires a dedicated commitment by every leader in an organization. The Human Capital Institute suggests that 70% of a leaders’ time should be focussed on talent development and culture building – culture is just that important. So if you want an inspiring culture, there’s no getting around it – you need to invest in making that happen!
Why Invest in Inspiring Leadership Training?
- Providing your leaders with the insights, inspiration and tools to focus intentionally on building an inspiring culture will help you:
- Build a culture that delivers better bottom line business results
- Foster a culture that will attract more employees who are a better fit for your organization
- Improve your employee retention rates and reduce employee absenteeism rates
- Build greater resiliency in the face of unexpected change
- Build a culture where leaders and employees actively seek out change, challenge assumptions, and become restless with the status quo
- Build a culture that thrives on ideas and turning ideas into action
- Build a culture that puts people first and service first
- Reduce silos and improve teamwork
- Reduce stress and conflict in the workplace
- Increase happiness levels of nearly everyone in your workplace (“nearly everyone” because, let’s be honest, no matter what you do, there’s just no pleasing some people)
What Participants Will Learn? With dozens of real-world, relevant examples, participants will learn:
- Why culture is everything and everything is culture
- 5 questions to keep asking about your culture
- Leadership vs. manager-ship: What’s the difference and why does it matter?
- How your culture connects with your branding
- Recruiting and hiring: Why finding the right people is critical, hiring for attitude, and hiring for a culture fit
- The on-boarding process: How to teach your culture to new employees
- The role of mentoring, training, and coaching in building a strong culture
- Being on purpose: Why “why” matters now more than ever and why your vision statement might be giving everyone a case of the “blahs”
- Shifting attitudes: Shifting employees from a job mindset to a calling mindset
- Valuing your values: How to communicate your values, celebrate your values, and make sure your values actually mean something
- Motivating the troops: Why money isn’t always honey, what most organizations get dead wrong about this topic, and 5 powerful Ps for more effective motivation
- Customer service is an inside job: Creating a “service-first” culture where everyone understands that some of their most important customers are sitting right next to them
- Communication is everything and everything is communication: Shifting from being merely efficient to being truly effective with your communication
- Getting your meetings right. How daily team huddles can strengthen your culture and why getting your meetings “right” is critical
- How to drive more creativity and innovation: Building a culture that challenges assumptions, questions everything, creates a safe space for ideas, and turns passion and ideas into action
- The humour advantage: Why leaders need to demonstrate a healthy sense of humour and how humour both drives and reflects an inspiring culture
- Five effective ways to jumpstart a culture shift
Why This Topic?
Every one of my client tells me they are grappling with unprecedented levels of change in their organization. To which I respond, “Welcome to the club!” Without question the pace of change is accelerating. You have three choices: Innovate and lead the change, adapt to the change that’s happening around you, or... settle for the status quo and eventually put a “FOR SALE” sign up on your business. But here’s the deal: Change isn’t something that happens periodically - you need to build it into your cultural DNA so your leaders and employees understand that change is a welcome, positive and necessary force in your organization. You need to equip them with tools that will help them be more resilient in the face of change. Because ideas are the currency of success that drive change forward it’s essential that you nurture a culture that supports creativity and innovation. You need ideas – both big and small, that will help you lead change and adapt to change. You need ideas that will help you stand out from the herd. And you need ideas that will help you achieve the results you deserve and the results you need!
Why Your Event?
Whether it’s a thought-provoking keynote or an interactive breakout session or workshop, this presentation is sure to get your participants thinking in new ways and fi red up about the challenges they face. Presentation Goal: To deliver as much relevant, practical content, and inspiring ideas on how to build a culture of creativity that’s more resilient to change, but deliver those ideas in a fun, sometimes hilariously outrageous way, so the ideas stick! The presentation includes door prizes (typically copies of one of Michael’s books), as well as a suite of on-line resources for you to use as you see fit.
To deliver as much relevant, practical content, and inspiring ideas on how to build a culture of creativity that’s more resilient to change, but deliver those ideas in a fun, sometimes hilariously outrageous way, so the ideas stick! The presentation includes door prizes (typically copies of one of Michael’s books), as well as a suite of on-line resources for you to use as you see fit.
Key Messages in Inspiring Change at Work:
- So... what’s new? The unprecedented pace of change and why you should care
- Three ways you need to change how you look at change
- Communicating for a change • Three reasons why you need to be in the business of ideas
- Is the workplace really a place where ideas go to die?
- Creating a culture and mindset that questions the status quo, that challenges assumptions and that drives curiosity
- Inspiring questions for inspiring workplaces • What a great idea! How to get more ideas and better ideas
- Ha + Ha = AHA! The role humour plays in the creative process
- Changing perspectives: How creativity can break down walls and build stronger teams
- Idea-building language and behaviours: What keeps creativity and change fl owing at work?
- Idea-squashing language and behaviours: What blocks change and creativity at work?
- Three key ways to turn great ideas into action
- Five critical motivational triggers that will help employees embrace change and new ideas
- Creating a “go the extra inch” and a “go the extra mile” mindset to leading change
Why This Topic?
Based on Michael’s wildly successful book The Humor Advantage, this presentation is geared towards business owners, managers, HR managers, front line customer service employees and any business employees interested in how to brand their business effectively to attract employees and customers, provide outrageously effective customer service and boost sales to new heights. It’s about leveraging your humour advantage to get the results you want... and the results you deserve!
Why Your Event?
Not only is this presentation wildly entertaining and guaranteed to keep participants awake and laughing, it’s packed full of inspiring business success stories from around the world and jammed to the brim with real-world, relevant results that participants can put to work immediately.
To help businesses grow and achieve outrageous results. Michael loves working with business leaders who are passionate about growing their business, who want to exceed their customers’ expectations and who want to build an inspiring business that leaves a lasting legacy. Michael’s goal is to inspire audience members by sharing real world examples and to give audience members the ideas and tools they need to act upon that inspiration.
- How to brand your business as a great place to work to attract top talent
- Hiring with humour and for humour: Why great businesses hire first and foremost for attitude
- Why customer service is potentially your #1 competitive advantage
- Customer service is an inside job: How great companies build a service-first culture
- How to brand your business to stand out from the competition and attract new customers
- Social media branding: The do’s and don’ts of using humour to stand out with your social media
- Why pay for advertising when leveraging the humour advantage can attract free publicity?
- Five keys to effective branding with humour
- Why you need to STOP providing good customer service!
- Five reasons phenomenal customer service matters more than ever
- The difference between long-term customers and truly loyal customers
- The two things every business needs to do consistently to stand out from the herd with its service to create passionate, loyal customers
- Would you like a pet frog with that? How humour helps boosts sales
- Adding humour to every point of customer contact
- The importance of going the extra inch and going the extra mile with your customers
Simply put: it’s about creating a team or workplace culture designed to get more ideas and better ideas for great success at whatever it is you do. Creating a culture of questions; the links between communication and creativity; brainstorming techniques with a twist; eliminating idea-squashing attitudes and behaviors; and the links between motivation, fun and creativity.
Do you want to get more ideas from your employees? And better ideas? Do you want to eliminate “but-headed thinking” (“But, we can’t do that!”)? Putting Creativity to Work offers simple, practical ideas on how to foster a more creative workplace, delivered in a fun, memorable style.
Audiences will learn:
- Why creativity is one of the most valuable workplace commodities
- The creative process simplified
- Creating a culture of questioning, a culture of curiosity
- Storming the brains: how to inspire more creativity
- The humour connection: Why HA + Ha = AHA!
- Simple ways to get generate more ideas
- Eliminating idea-squashing language and behaviour
- Turning failure on its heads
- What blocks ideas, what helps ideas
- Advancing and selling your ideas: turning your best ideas into winning result
Based on the WILDLY best-selling book, When Do You Let the Animals Out? Michael welcomes audiences to Calgary and the Canadian Rockies with this unique, high energy and humorous look at Canada and the Rockies based on his experience working as a park ranger.
It’s not so much WHAT you say that matters, it’s HOW you say it! How you say it, how you make that sales pitch, how you deliver that speech at the annual conference or how you present an idea in the boardroom, means the difference between success and failure. Or at least between being mediocre and brilliantly effective.
It can mean the difference between boring your audience into a catatonic stupor and keeping them awake; the difference between alienating your audience and connecting with the audience; the difference between having absolutely no impact on your audience (and really, how depressing is that?) and inspiring your audience to action, whether it be an audience of 3 or 3,000.
Inspiring Ideas for Inspiring Presentations workshops offer practical tips designed to help any level of speaker improve both their confidence and their speaking skills.
Here’s what audiences will learn from a veteran professional speaker and presentations coach with more than 25 years experience:
- Mastering your nerves before they get the best of you
- Preparing the presentation, why 90% of the presentation is in the plan
- Getting to know your audience: why you need to know your audience
- How audiences learn best
- Organizing your talk: Why structure and editing is critical
- Using PowerPoint effectively: The do’s and definitely don’t do’s!
- Adding spice to the mix: How to use humour, anecdotes and other tricks of the trade to keep people engaged and to make sure your messages pack a punch
- Keeping it simple: why direct language matters
- Managing a Q & A effectively
- Introducing introductions: the best ways to poem
- Conclusions about conclusions: Your best exit strategies
The Humor Advantage
The Humor Advantage is packed with hundreds of ideas on how you, your team and your entire organization can put humor to work effectively in any business or organization to get the results you need. But it’s not just about fun. The Humor Advantage is a serious business book that describes how dozens of inspiring companies from around the world have built healthier, more innovative and more service-driven cultures. From customer service to creativity, from motivating employees to managing stress, The Humor Advantage covers a wide range of work-related topics, while taking readers on a journey through inspiring workplaces around the globe. It’s all about the way work OUGHT to be!
Looking for a little inspiration in your workplace? Inspiring Workplaces is packed full of ideas on how to create a healthier, more productive, more creative, more fun and truly inspiring workplace environment. Because your work is too important to be turned into a Dilbert cartoon. Inspiring Workplaces offers more than just inspiration – the book offers practical ideas on how to bring about real change in any workplace. Each chapter ends with an “Inspiring Action” checklist of ideas on how to implement each chapter’s recommendations. And of course, Michael Kerr’s unique style and sense of humour is reflected throughout the book.
Inspiring Questions for Inspiring Workplaces
365 inspiring and provocative questions that will help you break the ice at your next meeting, build your team, generate lively discussion, and brainstorm creative ideas to help you build your business, improve your workplace culture, improve employee motivation and morale, enhance communication, engage employees and spark more creativity at work. The introduction also delves into the art of asking questions, including why, when, who and how to ask questions in the workplace. The questions are divided into 9 subject areas, including the significance of work, workplace culture, workplace values, workplace communication, customer service, employee motivation and fun in the workplace, creativity in the workplace, questions and questions designed to help each other to get to know each other better. 60 pages long, 365 questions, with a list of ideas on how you can make effective use of the book to help you build a stronger, more inspiring workplace.
- Accountability Speakers
- Arts & Entertainment Speakers
- Change Management Speakers
- Communications Speakers
- Conflict Management Speakers
- Customer & Public Service Speakers
- Education Speakers
- Employee Relations & Solutions Speakers
- Entrepreneurship Speakers
- Health & Wellness Speakers
- Healthcare Speakers
- Home & Work Life Balance Speakers
- Humour in the Workplace Speakers
- Influence & Negotiation Speakers
- Innovation Speakers
- Leadership Speakers
- Marketing & Branding Speakers
- Mental Health Speakers
- Natural Resources Speakers
- Nature Speakers
- Performance & Productivity Speakers
- Resiliency & Overcoming Adversity Speakers
- Sales & Customer Service Speakers
- Teamwork & Teambuilding Speakers
- Workplace Culture Speakers
- Youth Speakers