LIVE APPEARANCE PROCESS GUIDE & TRAVEL FEES
You have selected the speaker; what happens next? The following information is set to outline and guide you and your team in confirming expectations. Please read over the following information to ensure you are aware of our next steps and guidelines in working with our Speakers and us. Thank you for coordinating with us thus far, and we are excited for the opportunity to work with your team for your upcoming event.
AGREEMENT PROCESS – If you have not already done so, please provide us with the name/title/email of the person responsible for signing the Agreement on behalf of your organization. As we are flexible, we hope that Host Organizations can take a low-risk contract approach to try to execute the Agreement in a timely manner with limited negotiations.
- SBC and our Speakers do not commit to an event without an Agreement in place to protect all parties.
- We aim to have the Agreement fully executed by all parties within 14 days of us sending the first draft.
- Our first step is to gather and confirm the event information for the purposes of the Agreement.
- We will send the final copy of the Agreement via Zoho Sign for electronic signature that will automatically circulate to all Parties and sends a final copy of the Agreement to each party upon execution.
- We will also attach the fully executed Agreement to the invoice for your records.
- If you have your own Agreement, SBC will request that we create a Master Service Agreement for future Engagements as we work on the process for this Engagement.
- Please provide any special causes that are not included in our Agreement after your review of the draft.
PAYMENT PROCESS – Please provide our banking information and Christina Thoummarath’s contact information you’re your procurement representatives. Christina is responsible for all matters related to vendor setup, sending invoices, and receiving payments. She can be reached at: invoicing@Speakerscanada.com
- We are required to receive payment and pay the Speaker within 7 days of the event date.
- SBC prefers to be set up as a vendor in your system for Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) payments. Please send us any EFT/Vendor applications or provide us with what we must fill out for your organization.
- We also accept payment by cheque or email transfer. We do accept credit cards; however, there is a 2.9% convenience fee because we operate on slim margins.
- SBC is PST-exempt in BC, SK, and MN.
- If you are GST/PST exempt, we will require an exemption letter from your organization.
IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH SPEAKER EVENTS, HERE IS A GUIDE TO ASSIST YOU IN BEING PREPARED FOR THE NEXT STEPS.
CONNECTION EMAIL BETWEEN HOST ORGANIZATION & SPEAKER
- We will be providing you with the promotional materials and the Speakers contact information in the connection email.
- Speakers usually prefer that have an Agreement in place before they connect with organizers.
- If the event is coming up within 60 days, we will connect you with the Speaker asap.
- If the event date exceeds 60 days, we must have an executed Agreement in place before you connect with the Speaker.
- If your event is approaching within 7-14 days, we suggest responding to the connection email and placing a WhatsApp, text message, or call to reference the email communication to ensure they will connect quickly.
DISCOVERY CALLS – The purpose of the discovery call is to outline the following:
- Background of the event and your organization.
- Session requirements – speaking time duration and audience Q&A duration.
- Creative content discovery discussion for potential topic themes.
- Audience information.
- Outstanding deliverables & deliverable deadlines.
- Venue location and room set up.
- A/V set up & Speaker A/V requirements.
- A/V rehearsal time & date logistics.
- If there will be other commitments or requests for the Speaker to attend, such as meals, meet & greets, etc.
- If the Speaker will be requesting to have a table set up for book sales and if the Host can accommodate.
PREPARATION FOR DISCOVERY CALLS
- We encourage organizers to invite any team members, decision-makers, or executives to participate in the call.
- It is important for organizers to have a final meeting before and after you connect with the Speaker, to ensure full alignment with the Speaker and the content of the session.
- It is a standard that our Speakers research, customize, and tailor their presentations for your group based on the discovery call.
- Be prepared to provide the Speaker with the contact information for the onsite contact and A/V rehearsal and who will be introducing them in the session.
PROMO MATERIALS – If you require a specific topic description for the promotion of the event, the Speaker may provide a topic description after they have connected with you for the creative discovery call.
- SBC will provide the promotional materials in the connection email.
- Host Organization is permitted to promote the event once there is a mutually executed Agreement in place. Special permission must be granted by SBC to promote before the Agreement is complete.
- SBC and our Speaker permit you to use and edit any of the approved image, bio and topic descriptions we will be providing you in the connection email.
- SBC will work with you to provide all promo materials so please discuss your needs and any targeted dates on when you plan to promote the event.
- If you require a customized topic description, we recommend that you request the Speaker to provide it after the discovery call and you have had the opportunity to discuss the topic themes and outcomes of the presentation.
COVID-19 – It is especially important for us and our Speakers to be made aware of any organizational or health restrictions at the venue that is in our outside of local, and provincial public health regulations in accordance with Public Health Agency of Canada guidelines.
- SBC will ensure alignment with our Speakers to confirm they are able to meet all policies for Covid-19, and it is important to our Speakers that they are aware of any potential risks for them or to others before, during, and after the event.
- If a Speaker is flying, we may have to book travel to be two days before the event date, since flights have become unreliable, and have recently had complications or cancellations.
- SBC and our Speakers will not be involved with any events that breach provincial guidelines or that are not in accordance with the Public Health Agency of Canada’s guidelines.
- In the event of the health risk posed to the Speaker or any attendee, Force Majeure is covered in our Agreement with the integrity kept going virtual or rescheduling the event.
- If you are booking an in-person event and then going virtual, our Speakers are requesting the same fee as the in-person event, as they have often booked days and time to travel to the location of your event.
AT THE EVENT – It is important that the Speaker is provided with the contact information for the A/V Representative, On-Site Contact & the Host Representative that will be introducing them at the event 14-31 days before the event takes place.
- All our speakers request that they have time to meet with the AV representative to test their setup before speaking on the day of the event.
- If available, it is always great to have a host/representative responsible for escorting the speaker while on-site so they can familiarize themselves with the facilities, attendees, and the organization.
- Most of our speakers will also commit to networking, mealtimes, and breaks to make themselves available to you at the event unless they are on a tight schedule and must fly or depart quickly for another commitment or event.
- We recommend bringing any special requests up with the speaker in your conversations with them to ensure they are aware of any of your requests and to see if they can commit.
- Speakers also enjoy sitting with other speakers, leaders, event planners, and program leaders during meals, which gives them the opportunity to strategically discuss topics related to their presentation, the event, or the organization to expand learning before or after the session.
- It is recommended that the personal escort or on-site contact discuss and provide the meals separately from the other attendees to make sure the speakers are fed and full without interrupting the other delegates.
- If there is a meet & greet session or a book table set up, please have a bottle of hand sanitizer prepared and discuss if there is a liaison to assist the speaker in managing the lineup to keep things moving forward efficiently.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, RECORDINGS/LIVESTREAMS & PRODUCTION – It is critical that SBC and the Speaker are informed if you plan on live streaming or recording the session, if you hope to reproduce the recording in any way and how long you hope to have the video available on your internal channel as we negotiate the terms and conditions for the Agreement.
- The Agreement will outline the permission granted for the Intellectual Property and the Recoding.
- Speakers have their own guidelines, policies, and comfort levels with live streams & recordings.
- We function as a mediator to try to align all parties and their processes for recordings and live streams.
- SBC and our Speakers hold all rights to the Intellectual Property of their session after the event.
- The Host Organization, productions teams, event contributors and organizers must inform SBC and the Speaker of any strategy or intention of recordings taking place at the event.
HOW ARE TRAVEL EXPENSES CALCULATED?
TRAVEL BUY-OUT – Our Speakers prefer and sometimes demand a “Travel Buy-Out” based on an agreed-upon flat fee. Flat rates are calculated to purchase and cover all travel costs associated with the Engagement.
- We request that the Host Organization books and pays for the Speakers Hotel Accommodations and send the Booking Code to the Speaker.
- Travel Buy Out calculations fluctuate depending on the event location, and days spent during travel preferred method of travel and are subject to different rates depending on the logistics to get the Speaker to the event.
- Speaker will calculate the total travel costs, and we qualify each quote before proposing it to the Host.
- If you require itemized expenses with receipts, please inform SBC and provide your organization’s standards/costs for each item.
BREAKDOWN OF TRAVEL EXPENSES (COST PER ITEM) – The rates below are associated with standard travel expenses within the speaking industry.
- The flat rate quote will vary depending on the logistics, time to plan and the location of the event.
- If the Speaker is flying, mileage will not apply and vice versa.
- If the Speaker is renting a vehicle, airport transfers will not apply and vice versa.
- It is important for us to learn if you will be covering the hotel accommodations for the Speaker so that we can provide a quote.
FLYING – BREAKDOWN OF POTENTIAL TRAVEL COST ITEMS
|AIRFARE:||Professional commercially insured round-trip airfare is an industry-standard for Speakers that are refundable or transferable. This is non-negotiable as the Speaker must improvise to adjust their itinerary if they are faced with any flight cancellations or delays.|
|IF WE BOOK HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS:||$200-$400/Night, depending on the event location.|
|AIRPORT TRANSFERS:||$100/Event – Taxi/Uber|
|AIRPORT PARKING & INCIDENTALS:||$50/Da|
DRIVING – BREAKDOWN OF POTENTIAL TRAVEL COST ITEMS
|MILEAGE:||$0.61/km round trip Speaker location – event location.|
|IF WE BOOK HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS:||$200-$400/Night, depending on the event location.|
|PARKING & INCIDENTALS:||$50/Event|